Year Level Description
Prep students use their imagination, ideas, feelings and experiences when making and presenting visual artwork. They start to develop their skills in using art materials, tools, techniques and processes and explore each of the art forms: drawing, painting, collage, printmaking, mixed media, design, construction, ceramics and computer technology. Students use and explore the art elements of line, shape, colour, form and texture within each art form. They use and explore a range of art principles including repetition, pattern, variety and contrast. Students are also encouraged to discuss their artwork and constructively reflect on the work of others. All students actively participate in collaborative projects both within their year level and across the campus.
Two-dimensional Art Practice
Drawing — for Prep students drawing is an essential ingredient in assisting them to visually communicate their ideas. They are introduced to varying grades of pencil, fine liner pens for fine motor skills and bold pens for expressive works, soft pastel, oil pastel and water colour. These form part of their drawing folios.
Painting — an extension of the Prep drawing program, encompassing the use of colour, light and shade, primary and secondary colours and warm and cool colours.
Printmaking — another extension of our drawing program where students explore the techniques of mono prints, block printing and relief printing.
Three-dimensional Art Practice
Ceramics — students commence with free exploration of this medium based on their understandings of the material and discussion about the basic skills of manipulating clay to achieve the desired outcome. They work collaboratively toward a classroom based theme and create individual works that incorporate texture, modelling and relief techniques.
By the end of the year students are expected to:
- identify, distinguish and create different types of lines with a variety of media;
- use lines to create shapes, patterns and texture;
- identify and use primary colours;
- understand that primary colours mixed together create secondary colours;
- identify, create and use warm and cool colours;
- understand the difference between acrylic and watercolour paint;
- understand what collage is;
- understand what a print is;
- distinguish between two-dimensional form and three-dimensional form;
- understand basic clay slab and joining techniques;
- understand that artwork can be created on an iPad.