Year Level Description
The program aims to enhance the student’s enjoyment of reading and listening to books and stories presented in a variety of styles and formats. Students explore the function of the libraries within the School and wider community. They learn the correct borrowing procedures for the Junior School Library, and the care and responsibilities involved when using library books. They learn to identify the different sections of books and recognise the role of both author and illustrator in producing a book.
By the end of the year students are expected to:
- understand that the library is an ordered collection of books;
- demonstrate an understanding of basic library routines;
- identify elements and purposes of a picture story book including author, title and illustrations;
- identify basic visual differences between fiction and non-fiction books;
- understand how to handle and care for books.