Year Level Description
The program aims to encourage students to explore and investigate the library on a regular basis and to recognise the library as a source of books for both pleasure and information. Students further develop their understanding of the library as an organisational system for the storage of many different types of resources. They learn to identify the main ideas in fiction stories and the key words in simple information texts. Students read and discuss the literary elements used in a wide range of short stories and picture books.
By the end of the year students are expected to:
- understand that the rules and procedures of the library are necessary for its smooth functioning;
- summarise and discuss the main idea when reading picture-fiction books;
- begin to understand that picture fiction books are arranged in alphabetical order according to the author's surname;
- become aware that non-fiction books tell us information and are shelved according to subject;
- begin to recognise and locate different sections of the library: picture fiction, junior fiction, fiction and non-fiction.