Year Level Description
The program aims to ensure that the students can confidently use specific areas within the library. They learn to use the online catalogue Spydus, to identify and locate different resources to meet specific needs. Information literacy skills are also reinforced at this level. We aim to encourage independent use of the library facilities.
Literary studies focus on introducing the students to a range of different genres, authors and illustrators that further enhance their passion and understanding of story, and challenge their ability to read, comprehend and discuss books within groups. Students begin to recognise the different textual structures and features of specific genres.
By the end of the year students are expected to:
- identify the purpose of specific resources contained within each area of the library;
- identify the structure and some literary elements used within selected novels;
- recognise, read and respond to a variety of genres;
- understand the basic structure of the Dewey Decimal Classification system;
- recognise various authors and illustrators and have an appreciation of the elements of their work;
- navigate through our online resources World Book Kids and Britannica to locate information.