Year Level Description
The program incorporates the elements of Information Literacy to provide students with the skills to identify and locate the most appropriate resources needed for specific tasks. Students are encouraged to use the Spydus program effectively when searching on their iPads. They understand the need for information to be recorded in their own words and not plagiarise. Students read and discuss the literary elements of a wide range of novels in Book Chat. They discuss the elements of fiction and non-fiction books and recognise a variety of genres. Students are encouraged to read for enjoyment on a regular basis and to seek new titles and authors.
By the end of the year students will be expected to:
- recognise and discuss the features of a variety of fiction and non-fiction genres;
- have an awareness of the Dewey Classification System;
- process information by synthesising and begin to make generalisations;
- use multi-search terms to locate materials within Spydus;
- use problem-solving techniques, individually or in small groups to respond to research tasks;
- understand and describe storyline development in novels;
- locate, process and organise information for research tasks using a range of online resources including World Book Kids and Britannica.