Year Level Description
AIM Stage 1b: Exposure
This stage is completed over two years, begun in Prep and concluded in Year 1.
With close teacher support, students acquire key classroom language and learning strategies. They explore in-depth the story of Chicken Little or Little Cat Looking for a Home, with its accompanying songs, raps, music and dramatic elements. Students begin to manipulate high frequency vocabulary and structures for their own oral communicative purposes, and read and copy very familiar and highly contextualized Pinyin text. Students learn a minimal number of pictographic characters related to the story and explore cultural practices such as Chinese New Year and birthday celebrations.
On completion of this first stage of learning, students demonstrate the following achievement standards.
Communication Skills Development
- Recognises introduced words and their gestures.
- Comprehends and vocalises the teacher’s simple and gestured thoughts.
- Communicates spontaneously at a very basic level with gestural support.
Literacy Skills Development
- Memorises, rehearses and dramatises the play with the class.
- Responds to simple questions with gestural support and modelling from teacher and peers.
- Completes simple language manipulation activities as the teacher models them with the class.
- Recognises, copies and matches some high frequency pictographic characters.
Intercultural Knowledge and Language Awareness
- Participates in some Chinese cultural celebrations.
- Sings culturally appropriate songs e.g. greetings and birthday songs.