Year Level Description
The program is designed to broaden the student’s use of the library to include simple investigations into non-fiction texts. They investigate the many different sources of information stored in the library. Students learn more about the concept of subject collections when using non-fiction books and they learn to use the computer catalogue Spydus. They are encouraged to make the transition from picture-fiction and early-fiction to simple novels and select appropriate materials. Students read and discuss the literary elements used in a wide range of short stories and picture-fiction books.
By the end of the year students are expected to:
- use Spydus on their iPads, with assistance, for a simple search;
- understand the structure of non-fiction books and their organisation in the library;
- discuss, classify and analyse some of the literary elements used in short stories and picture-books;
- recognise, locate and use simple reference material online and in the library;
- develop an awareness of themselves as readers and be able to select appropriate reading material for their use.