Art Unit 3: Artworks, Ideas and Values
Students are advised to complete Art Units 1 and 2.
This unit focusses on making personal art responses through a broad and innovative investigation which includes exploration and experimentation in one or more media to prepare and/or develop a sustained body of work. It also introduces the critical frameworks used to interpret art.
Areas of Study
Investigation and Interpretation Through Art-making
- Personal art responses through innovative exploration, investigation and experimentation with ideas, concepts and skills.
- Inter-media and cross-media exploration.
- Effective visual language building and documenting an innovative and sustained body of work giving insight into the student's thinking and work practices.
- A study of two periods of art post 1990 (contemporary) and pre 1990.
- A study of at least one artist who has produced work within each of the selected periods of art.
- A study of at least two artworks which must have been produced within the selected periods for each selected artist.
- A contrast and comparison of the artists and art works from the selected periods of art.
- The application of relevant aspects of all the Analytical Frameworks across each of the selected art works to interpret the meanings and messages.
Explore personal ideas and concepts through a conceptual and practical investigation including at least one finished artwork using selected Analytical Frameworks to reflect upon and annotate their artwork.
Folio of explorations of personal ideas through practical investigation of materials and techniques involving trialling within a chosen art form/s in the communication of directions and individual concepts and a finished artwork.
NB: Subject to external review by VCAA.
|In conjunction with Unit 4 Outcome 1 - 50% of Study Score.
|Students should be able to use Analytical Frameworks to analyse and interpret artworks produced before 1990 and artworks post 1990 and compare and contrast the meanings and messages of the artworks researched.
||A written report that analyses art works and approaches of artists in a selected period of art.
Overall Final Assessment
||Contribution to Study Score (%)
||Units 3 and 4 Coursework
Information can be obtained from the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority, Victoria, Australia: www.vcaa.vic.edu.au