Semester Elective Unit
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is designed for students who have an interest in producing interactive multimedia applications similar to those found on websites. Students are required to produce a variety of user-controlled multimedia applications, using a range of software and hardware tools, which can be published as an interactive video product on a computer, website or mobile device to promote a product or be part of a game.
The main software used is Adobe Flash for producing animations and developing user-controlled visual applications that include the output from audio, image and video editing software.
The applications are within a social context that needs an interactive multimedia information product. The interactive multimedia product is developed using the technology product development process:
PRODUCT IDEA – Investigate – Design – Implement – Evaluate – FINAL PRODUCT
- What are the major components of user-controlled interactive multimedia products that are seen on websites and elsewhere — animations, audio, video, text, images and user-control features such as buttons?
- How are the various components of an interactive multimedia product developed?
- How are interactive multimedia products controlled by the user through their actions?
- How are interactive multimedia products designed and built?
- What are the characteristics of a good interactive multimedia product?
- What are the various ways of publishing and distributing interactive multimedia products?
Areas of Study
Features of a Range of Multimedia Development Tools — Hardware and software
- Investigate the features of a range of software tools used to develop multimedia resources for use in interactive multimedia products: programmable animation software, text, graphics, audio and video editing software
- Investigate the use of hardware, cameras (still and video) and audio equipment, to produce resources for use in interactive multimedia products.
- Investigate components of the programmable animation software that allows the user to control the interactive multimedia application.
The Product Development Process
- Investigate the design standards for interactive multimedia products.
- Learn how to develop and analyse a product idea.
- Learn how to apply the stages of the product development process to develop a multimedia application.
The Publishing and Distribution of Multimedia Applications
- Investigate how to publish interactive multimedia applications as a video product on a computer, website or mobile device.
|Learning Folio: Multimedia Software and Hardware Tools
||Production of a variety of small multimedia applications using various software and hardware tools, some with user control features included to provide interactivity.
|Interactive Multimedia Assignment
Production of an interactive multimedia application that demonstrates the use of all the features studied in Adobe Flash software, in the context of the promotion of a message.
Multimedia software applications that solve an information problem.
- Development and analysis of a product idea that solves an information problem for a client.
- Design, development and testing of the product.
- Production and collection of text, audio, video and images for use in the product.
- Publication and distribution of the product.
- Evaluation of the product.
||Students undertake an examination on the theoretical and practical aspects of the course.