English Language - not available in 2019
Semester Elective Unit
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course introduces students to the key concepts in the study of English Language. It is excellent preparation for the study of VCE English Language and also supports areas such as analysis of language and the features of texts, which are part of the IB Literature and VCE English Literature courses. Students also study the language of advertising, word formation and Australian English.
- What are the functions of language?
- How is the English language constructed?
- How do we alter the way we speak according to context and purpose?
- How has language changed over time and according to technology?
Areas of Study
- Introduction – an overview of the key terminology required for the study of language.
- The language of advertising.
- Word origins and word formation.
- The history and features of Australian English.
||Group presentation on word formation.
||Original short story based on creation of new, creatively formed words.
||Extended essay discussing Australian English and identity.