Year Level Description
The program aims to assist students to use the library facilities independently for personal research and enjoyment. Students are taught to use simple reference material, in a variety of formats, to enhance their information literacy skills.
Students are encouraged to continue regular reading. They read and discuss the literary elements of a wide range of novels within their Book Chat discussion groups. They are encouraged to identify obvious themes and the sequence of main events in the novels they have read. They are helped to analyse characters and identify strong emotions that can be evoked and explored through literature.
By the end of the year students are expected to:
- locate, process and organise information for simple research tasks using a range of different resources including World Book Kids and Britannica;
- explore new ideas by using open-ended questions;
- use simple graphic organisers;
- analyse characters and identify the emotional component of literature;
- identify and provide reasons for their point of view and value the opinions of others;
- use their iPads for Spydus catalogue searches and simple research tasks;
- use simple reference material on the Carey Libraries CareyLink pages;
- verbalise obvious themes in fiction books;
- write a simple bibliography.