Year Level Description
Prep students are introduced to the rich world of music through singing games and movement. They discover the difference between their speaking and singing voice and develop a repertoire of engaging action songs and games. Preps are introduced to the basic elements of music through a variety of activities including dance, movement and song. With the use of puppets, ribbons, literature and other activities, students learn about beat, rhythm, dynamics and tempo. From this, students are introduced to visual symbols that prepare them for music literacy.
By the end of the year students are expected to:
- recognise and maintain a steady beat;
- differentiate between the spoken and singing voice;
- recognise simple rhythm patterns (ta, ti-ti)
both visually and aurally;
- recognise simple melodic fragments aurally;
- sing soh-mi generally in tune;
- recognise simple music elements (tempo, dynamics, rhythm, beat);
- participate effectively in singing, games and dances.