Year Level Description
In Year 1, students are encouraged to make choices about ways of using materials, visual art elements and principles, skills, techniques and processes in making and presenting visual artwork. Students explore a variety of art forms including drawing, painting, collage, printmaking, mixed media, design, construction, ceramics and computer technology. They develop their understanding of the art elements of line, shape, colour, form and texture within each art form. Students use and explore a range of design principles including balance, repetition, pattern, variety, emphasis, unity and contrast. Students are encouraged to communicate personal observations and develop an understanding about some visual artwork from the past and present.
By the end of the year, students will be expected to:
- Use contour line.
- Use lines, shapes, patterns and texture to create artwork.
- Use line to show movement or visual rhythm.
- Identify, create and use different shapes; geometric, abstract and free-form.
- Identify, create and use secondary colours.
- Understand colour values. (Tint – to lighten and shade – to darken).
- Identify, distinguish and create transparent and opaque colour.
- Understand the basics of papier mâché.
- Understand and use more complex clay joining techniques.
- Understand that a variety of applications can be used on an iPad to create artwork.