Year Level Description
Students refine their knowledge of music with interactive listening activities and by responding to Arts examples. Students develop their musicianship through a strongly Kodály-based program with singing remaining as a primary focus. They extend their understanding of the structure of music, and develop their music literacy through reading, writing and creating. All Year 3 students participate as a member of the Bumble Bee choir. This provides students with the opportunity to further develop their singing and performance skills. Through a wide-ranging repertoire of unison and part songs, they learn to sing expressively with appropriate breath control, phrasing and interpretation.
By the end of the year students are expected to:
- maintain a steady beat whilst reading rhythms;
- recognise changes in meter both visually and aurally (march or waltz time);
- recognise rhythm patterns aurally and visually (ta, ti-ti, zaa, tika-tika, ti-tika, two-oo, za-aa);
- sing soh-mi-lah-re-do in tune;
- place soh-mi-lah-re-do on the treble stave;
- distinguish between binary, ternary and rondo works;
- create an effective rondo work;
- accurately perform a repertoire of works for classroom percussion;
- recognise pitch letter names on the treble stave;
- maintain a separate melodic line during partner songs and rounds;
- participate effectively in singing, games and dances.