All students in Year 8 participate in Physical Education classes which are conducted at the Carey Sports Complex at Bulleen, facilities include:
- Geoffrey Stevens Swimming Pool Complex.
- Gerard Cramer Physical Education Centre (a double indoor gym).
- Four ovals.
- Two soccer/hockey fields.
Movement is central to Physical Education for acquiring the skills, concepts and strategic awareness required for physical activity participation and enhanced performance. Physical Education concepts are informed by the related individual and team skill development, socio-cultural factors and behavioural aspects. Students develop movement competence and confidence in a range of physical activities in a variety of contexts and environments.
In Year 8 students learn to understand the contribution of different roles towards successful teamwork, leadership and enjoyable participation. Students also learn to apply concepts such as equity, fair play, respect, valuing of diversity.
The course acquaints students with varied activities during the year in an attempt to establish and foster an increase in skill and fitness levels, whilst enhancing self-confidence and motivation. Personal responsibility is developed throughout the units, as is co-operation and the belief that physical activity should be a lifelong commitment. The development of important social skills and sportsmanship are encouraged.
Each semester, students participate in the following units:
- Introduction to Rowing.
- Aquatics (survival stroke technique/rescue skills).
- Aussie Rules Football.
- Traditional Indigenous Games.
- Fitness Testing.
The assessment of each activity reflects the Student Profiles:
- Skill Level: Individual performance and understanding the strategies required for achieving successful outcomes.
- Social Responsibility: Valuing fair play, respect for others and leadership qualities.
- Participation: Application, attitude, co-operation and initiative.
- Reflection: Identifying areas for improvement and setting future learning goals.
- Cardiovascular Fitness: Based upon the Australian Fitness Education Award recommendations.