Year 7 French or equivalent.
In the second year of learning French, students build on language studied in Year 7. Structures from previous units are revisited and new linguistic features, such as the imperative mood and reflexive verbs, are added to enable students to communicate on various topics.
- Giving instructions.
- Daily routines.
- Leisure activities.
- Describing appearance.
- Talking about personality.
In Semester 2 of Year 8 French, students become more confident in using the structures they have learnt previously, particularly in speaking. They expand their knowledge of verbs, adjectives, adverbs and prepositions, as well as vocabulary, as they focus on:
- Communicating in stores.
- Buying and recommending items.
- Identifying places in a town.
- Asking for and giving directions.
- Holiday destinations and activities.
- The weather.
- Expressing opinions.
Students are encouraged to make comparisons on the daily routines, housing, holiday destinations and leisure activities of students their age in France. Students consolidate their knowledge of the similarities and differences between France and Australia in terms of food and relationships.
- Regular vocabulary and grammar quizzes.
- Dialogue and role play activities.
- Pronunciation exercises.
- Listening and reading comprehension tasks based on authentic materials.
- Poetry recitation.
- Creative and guided writing activities, both handwritten and online.